Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mom - NOT A Comfort

Still can't talk about Bubby without my voice quavering immediately, though, even with someone who doesn't care, like Mom.

She called today, and dropped a casual 'oh, heard one of your kitties left', and I said, 'Yes, Mom, our favorite kitty-boy DIED last month, and we're grieving'. To which she replied, 'Well, whatever, it's gone now, it wasn't very important. How many more do you still have?' And abruptly changed the subject (acceptable). She thinks it's truly bizarre that I 'keep useless filthy animals' 'AND in the house too!', instead of pursuing more useful activities like having human kids. Animals are a source of food - that's it. I get where she's coming from, but it would be nice for her to have some tolerance for my POV too. Never going to happen, which is ok. More important: After I warned her 5.5 years ago with one short but very nasty sentence, she's never insulted my kitties to me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment