Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mozart's Eating Habits

Mozart hated eating alone. He just wouldn't do it. I first figured this out one day when he was still a kitten, and the sole kitty in the house. Was on a consulting gig for a week, so was gone all day. I left him a nice big bowl of kibble so he could nibble as he wanted. For the first three days, I noticed that the bowl was untouched until I got home. He'd come running to the door to greet me, then lead me over to his bowl, and immediately start eating. If I went to another room, he'd stop eating and follow me. He'd trot next to me as I headed back to the kitchen, then eat again while I made dinner. The bowls were untouched all night, as he would sleep in his basket and not move until we woke up in the morning, then he'd have breakfast like we had breakfast, and use his bathroom.

I didn't know anything about cats then, and I really couldn't understand this behavior. It was more like what I would expect from a dog than a cat. Weren't they standoffish, aloof, independent creatures? This cat was so sweet, so obedient and such a fantastic companion, always trotting everywhere with me. Didn't he know he was a cat?

After I finally noticed this, I started testing it out. I'd go over to his bowl, and he'd start eating right away. However long I stood there, he'd eat. The minute I left, he'd leave. If I were in my home office, he wouldn't leave me all day until I went downstairs, then he'd trot down with me and finally go eat.

When I acknowledged that this was really true, I'd make sure I went to his bowl several times a day so he'd eat, since I was concerned about his being healthy, as he was a growing kitten. Once Ginza came, they'd eat together, so I didn't have to worry about it as much.

That moment of acknowledgment was my 'click' moment with Mozart, and when he completely stole my heart. That was also the moment I threw all my preconceptions of cats out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment